Wednesday, November 16, 2011

A writers eyes are like bottomless pools of imagination and wonder

Is it possible for anyone to achieve true greatness. How do you define what true greatness really is?

I myself have often wondered how one could achieve something truly great, to leave my mark on the world. This led to me to look at how other people did this. There are numerous ways to be remembered by the world, some great and some truly horrific. I am going to write a few words about some people who have left there mark for one reason or another.


George Washington -  An American leader during 1775 to 1799. Led the Americans to victory during the American Revolutionary War and and presided over the writing of the American Constitution. Also features on the $1.00 Bill currently in circulation within the USA. A positive mark left by this man.

Jack the Ripper - A notorious serial killer during 1888 in London. Killed numerous women in brutal ways. The ripper is a bit different on this list as the rippers identity still remains a mystery to this day. Numerous theories arise occasionally as to who it might be and a list of suspects exists to this day, but the ripper's true identity will most likely remain hidden. 

Edward Smith - An English naval reserve Captain. A Captain largely hailed for his achievements. He became famous as the Captain who commanded the Titanic on her maiden and ultimately her final voyage. It is unknown how he truly died with numerous stories of his final moments aboard the ship as it went down. Has a statue in Beacon Park, Lichfield England to remember him.

Nikola Tesla - A Serbian American inventor and engineer. Tinkered a lot with Electricity and is best known for his achievements in electromagnetism in the late 19th and early 20th century. In my opinion, a highly understated inventor. Had many patents and theories, most of which he claimed were ready to use. Tried to invent a superweapon to "end all wars" but failed to find a party interested in funding it and making it.


Although short, I hope the list invokes varying levels of notoriety and fame. 

So the question I ask myself is how can I one day earn myself a place on someones list. I think everyone is on someones list somewhere. Your family might add you to their list for simple acts as educational or sports achievements.  But how many people truly strive to get themselves on a bigger a list. How many people one day want there name entered into a search engine such as Google and to have there own Wikipedia page come up with lists of achievements.

I want this. But I am not smart enough to invent the next great invention or to be able pilot the next great superliner. And I most definitely do not have the state of mind to become a serial killer. For anyone who reads this, just take a moment to ask yourself "How can I become great in the grand scheme of things?" 

No comments:

Post a Comment