Thursday, November 17, 2011

What makes Japan magical to me (Part 1)

I am going to begin some articles as to why I find Japan magical. My first article is going to be on something most countries have also, but Japan does it so much different.

This article is on the different kinds of vending machines in Japan.



Whilst travelling Japan you will find it impossible to walk any amount of distance without coming into contact with some sort of vending machine. The most common vending machines I have seen are ones that sell you various beverages (whether being food or drink) and tobacco. If you stand in any street and give yourself a 50 meter radius, you are pretty much guaranteed to have several vending machines within said radius.

Now what makes these vending machines special to me is not the common food and drink ones but the other goods you can find within them. Below I will list some of the more rarer ones (and possibly more expensive ones too).

1. Egg Vending Machine
This first one is very unique to me. The thought of buying your eggs from a vending machine on your travels to or from work is quite weird to me.


2.Beer vending machine
This is actually another common sight in Japan. These vending machines are usually found outside alcohol and tobacco shops. I also saw one whilst travelling on a ferry which must have been there to make up for the lack of a bar service.

3.Umbrella vending machine
I know most countries use umbrellas but in Japan you seem to see them much more often. Women use them to shield themselves from the sun on hot days and you often see couples snuggled up under 1 umbrella.

4.Instant noodle vending machines
The brand in this picture "Cup Noodle" is very popular in Japan. Years back they even had Arnold Swarchenegger in the adverts on television. Youtube them, I highly recommend them for a quick laugh. Depending on the vending machine, it even supplies you with the hot water required to cook them for quick and easy food on the go.

5.Flowers vending machine
Did you have to work late and your wife got angry at you, or you forgot an anniversary and the local flower shop is closed. No worries when one of these machines are around.

6.Necktie vending machine
Oh no I was in such a rush for work this morning I forgot my tie and my spare one I keep in the car is nowhere to be seen. Phew at least there is a Necktie vending machine not far from work.

7.Trainer/Sneaker vending machine
Oh no I was in such a rush for work this morning I forgot to put on my trainers/sneakers. Phew at least there is a vending machine nor far from work.

8. Vegetable vending machine
Oh no I was in such...... Ok that joke is old now. But for when you really need to buy vegetables and the shops that surround the machine are not quite enough, you can buy these tasty fresh vegetables from your local vending machine.

9. Battery vending machine
Some of these I don't quite know why you would want to use unless either you needed the products when the shops closed or you had an innate fear of entering shops.

10. Lobster catching game
This one is not quite a vending machine per say but is one of them "Catch-em" games you would play when you were younger, except back then you were trying for a Mickey mouse teddy instead of a live Lobster.


So here are just 10 of the enormous amount of vending machines on offer in Japan. I may make another blog post in due time with some more but take in and digest the craziness I have posted already. More from the magical land of Japan soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment