Wednesday, November 16, 2011

A short quick post

Is gaming truly bad for your health? I understand (as I am a victim myself) that to much gaming in dark rooms, staring at screens, eating snacks which are bad for you is detrimental to your health. My eyes are blurry and I carry a few extra pounds.



But these I can fix. Bit of laser eye surgery here and a few celery sticks there and I can fix the above problems. But the reason I ask if gaming is truly bad for you is this. They say as you get older you engage your brain less and it slowly looses mental capacity (or something like that). They say as you grow older you should engage your brain by doing things like puzzles, Sudoku, crosswords etc.

Gaming engages your brain on many levels. Whilst playing, your eyes are darting all over the screen, taking in information. You then have to take a moment as to realise what to do with said information. Is that an enemy coming towards you, do I need to block this attack, do I need to help my ally, what was that movement over by the wall etc. At the same time as processing the information on the screen, you must as a player give your own input, whether from a mouse, keyboard controller etc. So all the time you are playing your game you have your brain in constant engagement as you multi task all these different outputs the game is giving you. I don't know about you, but I am confident my mind will stay full engaged until I pass away (unless I am struck by an unfortunate accident beyond my control)

No comments:

Post a Comment